Wednesday 25 September 2013

Quickie files: Guerlain Meteorites vs. Essence "Me & My Ice Cream" Shimmer Pearls

When the Essence "Me & My Ice Cream" Shimmer Pearls came out, I thought they looked very similar to Guerlain Meteorites. It took me a while to get my hands on the Essence pearls - they sold like wildfire! - but I finally did, thanks to a wonderful beauty consultant at my local Priceline store who actually found them for me ON HER DAY OFF, how good is that?!?


Pictured below is a mini travel size of Guerlain Meteorites in shade 01 "Mythic" (this is the classic original shade) on the left, and Essence Shimmer Pearls on the right. Guerlain usually packages their Meteorites (mini and full size) in strengthened cardboard with a lid that slips on and off, while Essence has a plastic pot with a screw top lid. Essence definitely wins on packaging, it's much more practical.
Guerlain Meteorites have a very distinctive powdery, violet scent; the Essence Shimmer Pearls have a sweet candy scent that reminds me of strawberry or cherry sherbert powder. Neither scent lasts long on the skin so if it bothers you it will fade quickly, but I adore the Guerlain scent.

The products look quite similar in the little pots, with the Guerlain having a slightly more chalky appearance with gold sparkle, and Essence having more of an even sheen.

When applied to the skin there is a distinct difference. The Guerlain Meteorites have more of a scattered sparkle, while the Essence Pearls have a smooth sheen. Sorry it's hard to swatch them with my pale skin - I have packed on the products so you can see the difference, it's much more subtle when applied properly.
On the left is the Essence Pearls - as you can see they have a champagne sheen and make a lovely highlighter. The Guerlain Meteorites, when applied this heavily, have pronounced sparkle and a pinker tone.

These are two very different products, despite their similar appearance. When I use Meteorites as intended, dusted lightly over the face, there's no obvious difference to my skin, except that it looks...better. The Meteorites diffuse the light and the slightly pink undertone lifts my complexion and makes it look clearer and smoother. I use Meteorites over my whole face. 
The Essence pearls create a definite sheen when swiped across the cheekbones and temples, creating a highlight effect that is finer and more subtle than a straight shimmer powder, but definitely visible. I wouldn't use the Essence Pearls over my whole face or I'd look like a disco ball!

Being two different products I wouldn't normally choose a favourite, but is it blasphemy to say I like the Essence Shimmer Pearls a teeny bit better?

It's true! I think the Essence Pearls have the same cute concept, a more practical container, and are a very useful highlighter. They give a more visible result and are ten thousand times better value for money! The Guerlain Meteorites are a nice-to-have, not a must-have, and while 20 years ago they were an innovation in light diffusing skin brightening powder, there are many more practical and cost-effective options available these days. I still love them but I wouldn't repurchase.


11 comments:

  1. I actually saw these when they first came out and now I am giving myself a huge kick up the backside that I didn't go running to the cash register :( with it!
    You can't go wrong for the price, now I will have to stalk the aisles of Priceline to see if someone else looked over this. Great comparison Xx Claire 88

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your search Claire :) Hopefully they will get a second shipment in seeing as they were so popular!

      Delete
  2. Great post! They seem very similar and I think the Essence ones look prettier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah :) I think the Essence ones are nicer too, the price makes them even more attractive!

      Delete
  3. I've been trying to find the essence pearls for AGES!! They sold out so fast! Love the kitty photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you believe I had the Meteorites a while ago and actually ended up throwing them out? I wanted to get the Essence pearls but they are sold out EVERYWHERE!

    I love when a budget products beats out a high end! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha me too, I'm always hoping the underdog gets up and wins, it doesn't happen all that often but when it does it's so exciting! Like Maybelline Color Tattoos, L'Oreal Infallible shadows, Maybelline Master Precise eyeliner...
      hmmm, I might have a blog post to do!

      Delete
  5. Great post, yet again, Kris - this is really interesting - love the Guerlain products but the cost is pretty off putting for most of them. I'll have to look for the Essence and hope the Pricelines restock soon.
    LOVE the puss cat photo!!! The expression is priceless.
    Take care,
    Trish_D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Trish you know I can never resist a kitty cat pic, I try to restrain myself but it's not easy! Thanks for reading and supporting my little blog :)

      Delete
  6. I fell in love with guerlain meteorites after I read several reviews on it.. so I forked out and bought it. It really didn't do too much to my complexion... so i gave it away. definitely not a must have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Meteorites are showing their age now, they're just not the best thing out there anymore and the price is insane. I kind of look at Guerlain as an "old lady" brand with a lot of their products now, but their perfumes are to die for!

      Delete